March 10, 2010

From the sale papers

(or email rather...I LOVE the weekly Wednesday e-VIC where I can click click away my YJDKIY grocery list). Sadly, there are fewer items on these lists these days. It seems the only thing ever on sale is junk, the produce section does offer a few rewards each week, but I thought I'd share a few of the reedonkulous items on sale this week (speaking of subsidizing all the wrong things!):


 
Del Monte Fruit Smoothie: Fruit in a box in plastic, that has to be tasty right? You could make like 12 smoothies spending the same amount on fresh fruit. Why can't I find this on their website?


 English Toasting Bread: American isn't good enough? Butter much?



Kraft 100 calorie packs Cheese Bites: This is one of my favorite food industry trends to make fun of. Hey, let's prey on people's inability to count out a serving of crackers (hey, it IS hard to count to 20) and put it in a baggie or container themselves. And, while we're at it, let's put real cheese pictures on the front to make them think it's healthy. This little packet also has 10% of your sodium RDA (in the form of MSG) and the second ingredient is partially hydrogenated oil.


Kraft Singles Melt Downs Nacho: Another winner from Kraft, because apparently normal cheese doesn't melt up to our standards anymore or something! I can't find this on their site either, which leads me to believe they don't WANT me to find it! In fact, their solution is to put in the UPC code. Sneaky. I did discover from a dieting site the following: 1 slice = 45 calories, 3g fat, 240mg cholesterol, and 240 mg of sodium. I'd really like to bawk at that ingredient list too.


Perdue Fun Shape Chicken Nuggets: Wow, I just couldn't resist. In addition to all the gross, ridiculousness that went into farming (if you could call it that) this meat, someone thought it would be a good idea to then cut in creepy shapes to make kids want it even more and then bread and cook it, package and sell it. Four, FOUR, nuggets have: 180 calories, 12g of fat, 430 mg of sodium and who knows what else. This is the business of food at it's worst if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...