June 3, 2010

Suffocating

Literally! In between reports about continuing failures to fix the GULP, YJDKIY saw an interesting article on the news at the Y. I find this an incredibly interesting correlation, not only in what the study links, but in the realization that some kids eat three hamburgers a week?


3 burgers a week ups kids’ asthma risk
Diet could be a signal for other risky lifestyle factors, researchers say
Children who eat three or more burgers a week may be at a higher risk of asthma and wheezing, but a healthy diet rich in fruit and fish seems to stave off the risk, according to a large international study.



The very first time YJDKIY had a hamburger was in middle school. I went home with a friend after the science fair (I know, I know...), and her mom took us through the Wendy's drive through. I'd never had one and figured I wouldn't like it either, so I asked for a cheeseburger thinking at least I could pick off the meat and have a cheese sandwich. I don't recall my first impression, just like I can't recall ever, seriously I'm not kidding, eating a hamburger again in my life (which, by the power of deduction leads one to believe it was less than favorable!). Needless to say, I'm not tempted by these. But, just in case you're tempted to zip through Wendy's and stuff one in your whiny kid's hand, here's a trick I use to get over such cravings and quick food fixes...READ THE LABEL (hello, soapbox? its me YJDKIY)!

Wendy's single hamburger:
 470 cals, 21 g fat (8 sat, 1 trans), 80 mg chol, 970 mg sodium (!), 43 g carbs, 27 g protein

Wendy's kids meal hamburger (a slightly better choice purely because it is smaller):
220 cal, 8 fat (3 sat, 0 trans), 30 chol, 520 sodium, 26 carbs, 13 protein 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...