April 7, 2011

Broccoli Salad Redux

Broccoli salad is a staple at Southern potlucks and cookouts. The recipe usually consists of a 1/2 c cup of broccoli and 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of sugar....and some bacon. YJDKIY can't really bring myself to ever eat that, although I guarantee you half the people eating it are proud to be eating their vegetables for the day!


Oh, I see you've met my secret ingredient for this redux.


And here is it's best friend.

Local!


Mix some of each (the plain Greek yogurt is pretty tart, so I added one more squirt of honey to what you see here), add a little cider vinegar.


Add some chopped red onion.


One head of broccoli. I blanched this for about 1 minute, but you don't have to do that - raw is just as delicious.


One minute tops! Then a cold water bath to stop the cooking and keep it crispy.


Instead of the traditional sunflower seeds and raisins, YJDKIY went with pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries! MMmmmm sweet & tangy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...