February 25, 2010

♫ Butterfly in the skyyyyyy... ♫

I can fly twice as hiiiiigh
Take a look, it's in a book....


----------------

Just call me LeVar Burton, because you don't have to take my word for it (ha!) and I do love some ROYGBIV. An update on the latest reads...

1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - Audio book read by the author
Meh, this got a lot of good reviews and is now a movie, but I found it too dark, slightly predictable, and a little bland for my taste, but perhaps that was just the author's monotone reading style. The character development is nice though.

2. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry - Audio book
It was an interesting listen and passed the time, but I don't think I'd recommend it. The concept was good in the beginning, but the characters were weird and flat, the plot was ridiculous, all over the place, and not really believable (but supposed to be). The book ended in a contrived, harsh twist that wasn't developed well at all and the last parts of the book were extremely disjointed and outlandish. Had I actually been reading a paper version, there is NO way I would have made it through the first 100 pages. But, I do want to go to Boston. :P

3. Olive Kittridge by Elizabeth Strout - 304 pages, paperback
No good (to me), despite it's Pulitzer. I can see how someone older, like in their 70s might like this, but I just couldn't identify with the characters or their situations. I mainly picked it up because of the setting, Maine, on my travel to do list! Another book with several tales woven (slightly) together. I started this book in August, and finished last night, February 24 (which might have had something to do with why I don't get the weaving). Overall it was depressing and stuffy, the ending to several "stories" and to the book were both sudden and not particularly in line with the rest of the book.

4. Sea Glass by Anita Shreve - Audio book read by Kyra Sedgwick
(disclaimer: not quite finished)
So far, the character development has been fascinating. There were a lot of them, and stories, but they were introduced in a manner that was relatively easy to follow. The story is told from each of their respective points of view and it works (unlike Lace Reader). And then, beautifully, they are intertwined. It's a quiet book, but the descriptives and insights of the setting (time, place, etc.) are worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...