February 21, 2010

Not for the impatient!

But definitely for the hungry! After hearing about them forever, Simply Good had Bob's Red Mill* Organic Whole Grain Steel Cut Oats on sale, so I thought I'd give a try this morning.


Start early! A delayed until almost 9 am breakfast made a pre-meal snack necessary since these take 20 minutes to cook.


And watch the pot, while it's covered and simmering, just after the boil....it WILL overflow. :(


Once cooked, lots of add-in options. Cinnamon and Nutmeg (and vanilla, not shown), agave or maple syrup, inferior Whole Foods crunchy PB, defrosted blueberries, and almond slivers.


The texture of steel cut oats is a nice change from regular old fashioned rolled oats (which I also love to eat raw and cannot do with these), but I don't know if I'll make a permanent switch. I can't tell that they're nutritionally better, except maybe less processing, which is gooder. And, maybe it was just the pre-meal snack, but I did feel fuller faster. YJDKIY will keep both stocked for now!

*just added to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...