March 12, 2010

I desperately want to...


...name something Ruby. That is the cutest name ever.


I defied everything I've been learning about eating in season from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle all in order to make a recipe they offer: Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp. It took me two stores to find this rhuby, but the berries were BOGO at HT.

Chopped up about 1 lb. of stalks (which I have never purchased, cooked or eaten ever!), quartered the strawberries and mixed with some agave.


Spread in a Pam'd pyrex with a mix of oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour, chopped walnuts and melted butter.

In my attempts to make this somewhat not as unhealthy, I skimped on butter and sugar. The butter was fine.


The sugar...not so much. Holy donald that was tart! Baked for about 40 minutes at 375, with the last 5 on broil. It was pretty tasty with the crumble, although my preference would have been for more crunchies and sweeter. Not bad for a first try at rhubarb, although I don't really like the way it turned mushy pink.

YJDKIY much prefers red in my green kitchen.


See?


But maybe I always had a fondness for that color combination.


There's even this for after dinner (this dessert is not dinner despite the fact that I ate it first). Anyone care to make a wager on how long I'll stay awake?

5 comments:

  1. Not even through a third of the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, cool! Have you tried some red chard or better yet ~ fresh ginger beets? Yum....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes on red chard, I have beets in the fridge for Tuesday night AND I watched the whole movie (Up in the Air) without falling asleep! SO there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh beets are good with a little fresh ginger cooked with them and some orange juice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...