June 25, 2010

Hydrate Naturally

It seems like lately, everywhere YJDKIY turns, someone is talking (or, blogging, mainly) about coconut water as a post-exercise refresher. I only recently located some on sale, 2/$5 at (local!) Fresh Market, so I thought I'd give it a try.


VitaCoco claims to be a better than water, better than sports drinks way to replenish and refresh after a workout. At first taste, its a little odd, but it totally grew on me. I'm a big water fan and am rarely in a situation where I feel the need to drink something else. And I absolutely hate sports drinks, in fact, I think the only time I've consumed one in the last 3 years was here. This is definitely a great alternative to both, and I like that it only has one ingredient, but it's a little inconvenient that it has to be frigerated after opening and suggested before drinking and that there are two servings in a single package, but you're supposed to drink it all immediately. But, let's check out the rest of the packaging claims (from their website) and nutrition

  • Helps keep the body cool and at the proper temperature. (we all know YJDKIY could benefit from that!)
  •  Helps carry nutrients and oxygen to cells and boosts poor circulation
  • Regulates the function of the intestine, helping promote smoother skin
  • Helps replenish your body's fluids after exercising.
  • Helps detoxify your body and boost your immune system.
  • Helps ease stomach pains
  • 3.4 fl oz contains 20 calories, 0 fat/cholesterol, 12 sodium, 206 potassium (go go less bananas!), 4 carbs, 0 protein, 70% vit C
So, I'm a little leary of "miracle products" and I wish it was organic/fair trade, but I think it's a decent option after water if you can get used to the taste (maybe the flavored are easier, but then...extra ingredients!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...