December 8, 2010

The Good The Bad The...

YJDKIY busted into some WH veggies from #2 and #3 for this dinner. That's the good, we'll start with that.

First up was dried shiitakes from Sandy Creek Farm.


The instructions said to dredge them in boiling water for 8 minutes.


They soaked it up well, but I can't say I enjoyed this part. They smelled like mushrooms, which shiitakes don't normally.


Once they were soft, I won't lie, it wasn't unlike touching slimy raw chicken, and only slightly less gross. They needed some blotting and draining before cooking.


I diced up some onion and a LOT of garlic. Weird but true: I used loathe dicing garlic and always used the press. Now I hate the press and dice!


Plus some of the prettiest, and freshest Tender Greens I've seen.


Saute the onion and garlic in EVOO for a minute or so, add diced shrooms. Then, add the greens and some garlic powder and pepper.  Here comes the bad. Do not try this at home.


Knorr's sauce mix - herb garlic. This really wouldn't be THAT hard to make from scratch, but I am terrible at cream sauces because I hardly ever think they improve a recipe, and thus never make them. But, I did get to use my mini whisk!


And {shutter} there's more...Walmart acquired dried tortellini. Not healthy and certainly not un-processed. I almost went with whole wheat gnocchi, but decided the texture would compete with the mushrooms too much.


And last...THE TASTY! All combined, this turned out really delicious and really filling. And, true to shiitake form, I couldn't taste them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...