January 7, 2012

We picked up a weirdo

Friday night is pizza night in casa YJDKIY. Well, actually, it's more like, pizza night is Friday night. Because not all Friday nights are pizza, but pizza is almost always Friday night.

gee thanks iPhone - that's almost better than my DSLR

Even though I love it, regular veggie pizza was getting kinda B-O-R-I-N-G! When I started looking for new ideas, the only thing that kept coming up was BBQ Chicken Pizza. I don't like BBQ. Nor do I really want chicken on my pizza. Enter my strange world of concocting. YUUUUM. I masked the BBQ and avoided the chicken.

BBQ Chick Pea Pizza (get it!?)

1 prepared pizza crust (or homemade would be even better, but we were going for quick here)
1 c organic chick peas, rinsed
2 c washed kale torn into small pieces
1 medium sweet onion finely sliced
1 c grated Gouda cheese (not smoked)
1 c jarred low sodium marinara sauce
2 T sweet & tangy barbecue sauce
1 T olive oil

Heat oil in a skillet, add onions, and reduce heat to low. Cook 10+ minutes until caramelized and add kale. Mix well to coat kale with oil, cover, and cook 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix marinara and BBQ sauce, tasting to get your preferred balance of BBQ and tomato. Once kale is wilted, remove from heat. Spread sauce onto crust, top with kale & onion mix, and chick peas. Sprinkle grated cheese over top and bake for 11-13 minutes on 405 degrees, broil for 1-2 minutes (I use a pizza stone pre-heated with the oven).

It might sound weird, but don't throw it out of the car until you try it...


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...