May 25, 2010

Silver & Gold

Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold! In this case, my old friend is gold, and gets the gold! I had a store coupon for $2 off Silk PureAlmond Milk that expired last week, so I thought I'd give it a try. Normally, YJDKIY exclusively drinks Silk Light Original Soy Milk, so after my initial taste test, I thought I'd see how the labels compare to prove (or disprove) my opinion.


First, the nutritionals, for a 1 cup serving.

Almond: 60 cal (25 from fat), 0 choles, 150 sod, 150 pot, 8 carbs, 1 prot; good vitamins E, D, A, calcium

Soy: 70 cal (20 fat), 0 choles, 120 sod, 300 pot, 8 carbs, 6 prot; good vitamins B12, D, A, calcium, riboflavin, magnesium

And the ingredients, which, sadly aren't online for the Almond.

Almond: All natural Almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), all natural evaporated cane juice, calcium carbonate, sea salt, dipotassium phosphate, locust bean gum, gellan gum, sunflower lecithin, natural vitamin E, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2

Soy: All Natural Soymilk (Filtered Water, Soy Flour), All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12. 
 Bottom line
Quite disappointed to see cane juice (sugar) as the second ingredient in both of these, although it is MUCH more noticeable in the almond...it tasted like I was drinking melted ice cream (and we know I can't stand that). I wish it didn't need the Carrageenan, but it seems to be a common ingredient for all soy milks. The almond certainly offers some different health benefits, but the main thing that will keep my buying soy is the protein. A 5 gram difference was enough for me to take notice, and upon reflection, explained my 10:30 am hunger! Also, the flavor and higher sodium count, but I also take into account the processed nature of soybeans (Silk, unless you get organic, which isn't available in light [grar], does not say they use organic soybeans). In comparison to milk, or even regular soymilk, the almond gets a silver though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...