January 27, 2011

Pot Pie Post


Yum (with a minor yuck!)


Sticking forks into raw potatoes is one of my favorite cooking prep tasks. Just something satisfying about the way that feels. Microwave this guy for about 8 minutes.


I cheated and used a bag of frozen lima beans, carrots, corn, and green beans. Plus I chopped up some broccoli, the last WH onion and some red onion. Saute all that, then sprinkle with flour, about 2T.


Meanwhile I was the victim of my own soapbox/pet peeve: deceptive labeling. It happens to even me, who says read the labels until I'm blue in the face! This looks harmless right? Vegetarian!


But nooooo, number 2 ingredient? Monosodium glutamate, aka MSG. lovely. I only discovered this after 1 c. of it had been mixed into my veggies and I tasted, and promptly recoiled in horror at how salty it was! Not much I could do at that point.


Then mash up the potato and stir that into the veggie mix. I added some nutritional yeast for creaminess. I want to start using this instead of cheese in lots of recipes!


Pack all that into a deep dish pie crust (preferably whole wheat but those are hard to find in this town). Top with breadcrumbs and a little more yeast and bake for 30-45 minutes.


As per usual, I finished with about 3-5 minutes on broil. Let it cool about 5 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...