December 16, 2011

Quinoa Stuffed Cabbage Leaves

I'm pretty sure this used to get made when I was younger, and it involved millet and I hated it. :P


I started with some random ingredients (those are the local turnips I never used!)


Feature ingredient!


Plop it in a pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Rotate it to get even cooking.


Remove from water (not as easy as one might think!) and transfer to a cool water bath. Gently peel off the tender leaves without tearing them.


If you get to tight leaves that are crisp, plunk it back in the boiling water for a couple minutes. I got about 10-12 off a the small cabbage patch head. While your leaves are cooling, saute 1/2-1 finely diced sweet potato, half a yellow onion, 4 cloves of garlic (minced), and, cook about 1 c (dry) quinoa (I ran out so I mixed in some cous cous, which actually worked really well to hold it all together). Dump a bunch of rosemary, garlic powder, sage, and basil in the mix and stir it all together. I also added about 2T nutritional yeast.


Evenly divide your mix according to how many leaves you have an spoon onto a leaf. They are much more flexible than you would imagine.

Roll'er up! Place rolls in a greased baking dish and top with 1.5 c tomato sauce of your choice. I used no-salt added plain tomato sauce with extra basil, garlic powder, and rosemary.


I also sprinkled a little parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes on 400. Remove foil and broil for 10-15 minutes.


Because I forgot to add the soy crumbles, this was served over balsamic-rosemary chick peas for some extra protein. Weird looking and a little weird of a combination, but it actually turned out pretty tasty!

PS: While the winter sky does give you things like this out your back window


and sometimes even rainbows with a pot of gold right next door, 


it is IMPOSSIBLE to photograph dinner this time of year. Dark at 5 pm = overhead fluorescent + yellow incandescent = bizzzzzarre colored food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...