June 8, 2010

Ave Gardener*

Since I had to water plants for the first time in 2 weeks (yes it has rained that long), I took the opportunity to snap a few shots of what's growing 'round here.

Figs! I need to start looking up recipes now for the amount of these sticky gooey things that are going to hit the ground in the fall. The fig bush is the size of the neighbor's detached garage.


Lavender, oregano! These apparently wintered over, as I both had no clue what they were when they sprouted and certainly didn't plant either of those this year. However, seeing how well the lavender did, that plant might be doubling soon.

Hostas! These have been toted around in these pots for almost 2 years now. I don't have any shady spots for them yet. Still working on that.


Geranium, Black-Eyed Susan! I rescued these from the dried up clearance aisle in Home Depot for a total of $3! Silly Home Depot, all you have to do is water them. See my Haps souvey, doesn't it look ohso kitschy?

 Basil! As previously stated, overachievers and more than I can manage. Do you want some?


Petunia, geranium! These poor little red-white-and-blue guys were some of the first Spring annuals to arrive home, and they are not liking this hot Summer weather. Perk up and bloom again guys!


Tomatoes! I was a little beside myself planting a hybrid instead of an heirloom, but this one was specifically for containers, so I thought it I'd give it a try. Holy summer salsa Batman! You can't tell from this picture, but this plant is probably only 18" tall and 10" wide, and there are currently no less than 10 tomatoes!

Wave Petunia, Begonia, Gerbera Daisies (not blooming currently), and those pointy things (on the end, what're they called?)! My pink ribbon pot. This turned out not how I wanted, but ok. Too full, too expensive, too heavy to move!


I'm reasonably sure this includes Creeping Jenny (the light green), Sweet Potato Vine (dark, star like leaves), and Dusty Miller (white stuff), but I don't know what the red thing is. They just looked good together! One time I heard a name for this type of flower planting, where you have a tall background, two mid levels, and one that trails on the bottom or over the edge. Something catchy like a sleep/creep/leap planting. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?


Peppers! Valencia Bells to be exact, and there are three. I thought they were supposed to be red though? Also, I just picked off two of the most hated of all YJDKIY bug invaders: earwigs. Is that is what is turning the stems brown?

Thyme! This was from one seed packet started in the jiffy pots. Haven't quite figured out what to do with it, but this would make a fantastic and fragrant ground cover. Apparently it makes a good companion plant, too. Mr. Thyme meet Ms. Valencia. Note for next year. 


And there you have it!


*like Ava? YJDKIY lives on the Ave? Get it? ahahaha!

1 comment:

  1. Just made the first pesto batch from basil...takes about 2 cups per batch with only walnuts since pine nuts are not available...good way to help the overachievers feel good...

    peppers could have had too much water during your rainy period..

    thyme drys pretty well, just air dry and then you can shred it off the stem...dry and not sunny space

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...