September 25, 2010

Second Impressions

There is exactly one grocery store I care to shop at in this town. I think the whole rest of the town feels that way too, because the good kind is frequently out of stock. This week, YJDKIY was forced to try something other than the regular Silk Original Light Soy Milk for milk alternatives.

On a whim, and based on two things: price and calories, I picked Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened.



The last time I tried melted ice cream Almond Milk I was less than impressed. While it was comparable in calories, the sweet flavor made me want to gag. Surely unsweetened will not be such, right?

Verdict...mostly right. I can at least tolerate it in my cereal. It only has 40 calories (30 from fat), 180 sodium, 190 pot, 2 carbs, 1 prot, vitamins E & D and some other stuff.

(to recap from previous trials: Almond: 60 cal (25 from fat), 0 choles, 150 sod, 150 pot, 8 carbs, 1 prot; good vitamins E, D, A, calcium. Soy: 70 cal (20 fat), 0 choles, 120 sod, 300 pot, 8 carbs, 6 prot; good vitamins B12, D, A, calcium, riboflavin, magnesium)

It's still a little thicker than I'd like (maybe I should just put water on my cereal), but there is basically no flavor, so that's good. 

The ingredients...meh. Not much worse than the others but it would be nice if there were less and they were more...pronouceable!

INGREDIENTS: FILTERED WATER,  ALMONDS, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN,  SOY LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E). 

PS: They need a package redesign STAT! I hate this circusy carton that looks like it should be on the bottom shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...