May 20, 2010

Tasty Bite

Yes, it is true that YJDKIY has the most wussiest taste buds ever, so I'll just start with that.
Since Tofu/Shrimp Stir Fry was on the menu list for this week, I happened to notice a new product in the aisles of my local HT. Normally I avoid these types of package sauces like the plague, but I generally like Tasty Bite foods, and I was hooked when I read the nutrition panel for this Pad Thai Simmer Sauce. Can you guess which part convinced me to try it?

INGREDIENTS
Water, Raw Sugar, Peanuts, Onions,Tomatoes, Tamarind, Sunflower Oil, Vinegar, Chillies, Tapioca Starch. Contains: Peanuts.
Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 1/2 pack (3.5 oz./100g)
Servings Per Container: 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories 200  Calories from Fat 90
%Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
   Saturated Fat 1g 5%
   Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 5mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates
28g 9%
   Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
   Sugars 23g  
Protein 4g  
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 2% Iron 2%

Not only can I pronounce all the ingredients and don't really see any extras, there is very very little sodium in this prepackaged sauce. SCORE! The sauce was pretty good on some soba noodles, peppers and shrimp, but it was a little too spicy for my liking. I might try it again, but watered down, and, gasp, cut with a little added salt or soy sauce.

So, the big question is....if Tasty Bite can do this, why in the world can all the other packaged foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...